Sunday, September 18, 2011

Fabrication Skills

It's been hectic at work lately so I haven't had the time to do much prototyping. I did however start working on my fabrication skills and technique this weekend. Unless otherwise dictated by specification I will be making all "body parts" out of fiberglass. The way I intend to arrive at a finished fiberglass part is still a work in progress, but here's how I'm approaching it...

  • Create object out of high density foam, the kind florists tend to use. It's easier to cut. 
  • Cover in general purpose Bondo. I had my first run at this, not too hard once you get the hang of it. A couple of downsides to this... The Smell & the Quick Set Time (3-5min)
  • Sand Bondo with 80 grit then 220 grid sand paper to smooth out surface. 
  • Paint Bondo with Polyurethane Paint
  • Apply Mold Release wax
  • Apply Fiberglass Resin & Fiberglass Cloth
Here is the tool list:
  • Power Sander, B&D Mouse (hand sanding was taking too long!)
  • Flexible Plastic Cutting Board (worked out better than putty knife)
  • Respirator (No Bondo Smell!)
Here is the consumables list:
Once I have it down I will photo document the process and post it. 

-Eric